Saturday, August 26, 2006

In the kitchen...and work

It is Saturday morning, and since I have a closing shift today, I am cooking my lunches for the next few days, a mix of brown rice, broccoli, carrots and beans.

I am laying off meat as much as possible while I am trying to change the tide of events in my body!

In answer to my sister Dianne's comment...yes it has been a while since I played music in public, although I continue to write and play at home.

For those who see me at work every day and are reading my blog, let me clarify why I choose the Arts as my occupation. This is because writing is still my primary focus and because for most of my life, music my main occupation.

While I was playing up in Courtenay in the 80’s, my friend Richard who sheltered me at his home while I worked my gigs up there, accused me of “trying to do an end run around reality”. At the time I was miffed but now see the truth of his statement.

Try to raise a family of 6 on a busker’s allowance! This and too many years of welfare put the nails in the coffin of my marriage. No matter how I tried I couldn’t find a regular job, partly my age I guess and no work history to speak of! In 2001, my wife had had enough, and so had I! I had to move out.

I spent almost 2 years working for an elderly friend of mine, Herb Gilbert as his caregiver and personal attendant. Herb was a professor of Fine Arts at UBC for many years and we collaborated in bringing Paul Reps up to Vancouver for a series of his "playshops" in the early 80's. He was also a very close personal friend and benefactor to our family. He passed away in November of 2005 and the world is short one fine artist, activist, pacifist and supporter of environmental healing. His website is: www.vcn.bc.ca/~oratorio


Then, one of my old band mates from our Winnipeg group "Friday the 13th", Rob McPherson re-appeared in my life, analyzed my predicament and threw me a lifeline. He got me a job in the call center of a major hotel chain, and I have been there close to 5 years now. Rob, I will forever be in your debt as your help has prevented several likely family disasters from happening.

Well, I better finish preparing my rice bowl...

1 comment:

Jim Page said...

Baba... Great to hear from you! And thanks for the mention. Keep writing and believing. - Jim Page