Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Blood Pressure Blues

I got them...
blood pressure blues...
from my head...
down to my shoes....

It was back to the doctor this afternoon to see if the new meds were working and as I already knew, just from the feeling in my body, they were not.

A lot of the time it feels like I am plugged into a high tension voltage circuit and even breathing doesn't do much to ease the feeling.

If I wake in the middle of the night, it is an uncomfortable feeling to know you are out of sync with something as basic as your own pulse.

I have been practising a lot of prayer and meditation and a shift in diet but these remedies are not doing the trick.

So the doc says it's out with the Ramipril and in with maximum dosage of Plendil, this one shrink-wrapped by AstraZeneca pharmeceuticals in Canada.

"What happens if I don't take them?" I asked.

"You could have a stroke", he bluntly responded.

He explained that the drug expands the blood vessels thus increasing the blood flow.

"I don't like getting old", I complained.

"It has nothing to do with age", he said, "it's hypertension and it's a disease."

Me: "What causes it, a virus?"

He: "It's not a virus. We don't know what causes it, but it could be inherited."

But the doctors don't know everything and my jury is still out as to whether I will start on the new meds, when I finish the Ramipril, as he suggested.

"How long do I have to take them?"

"For good", he said.

With my medical coverage, they cost $15 but if I don't have work in a few years the same 30 pills cost nearly $50 and how am I gonna pay that?

So for today...I'm singing...

...them BP blues...
from my head...
down to my shoes...

No comments: