Thursday, August 16, 2007

Positive Changes

Thursday morning and the sun is wrestling with the clouds for its place in the blue sky!

I am preparing for my workweek and since rain is forecast for this afternoon, my umbrella is hanging on the door handle. But I have been lucky with days off and the last two were no exception. Both of them brilliantly sunny and hot!

Tuesday I had my scheduled appointment with my doc to check blood pressure and to my dismay he suggested another med called Zocor to work on the cholesterol levels.

How long do I have to take it for? I asked. I should have known better. His stock answer, "Forever" popped up like the No Sale sign in an old fashioned cash register.

I asked him to write out the prescription so I could find out how much the meds are going to cost and also to research it. Once again the price was not a problem as long as I am working and receiving medical benefits but what about after?

After researching it on the internet I made my decision. Why would I want to take another medication that breastfeeding mothers should stay away from and with the added possible side effects cautionary: known to increase the risk of cancerous tumors in mice and could cause muscular breakdown?

So I am going to live with my normal/high BP diagnosis for another month and see if the Plendil brings it down a bit more. Taking this one medication is enough of a bullet for me to bite right now.

Wednesday morning I felt much better having taken this stand and so was up for lunch with youngest son Kadir and his mom. We walked down to English Bay for a bite and to toss around recent happenings.

Kadir is now a couple of inches taller than his mom and going strong to compete with his big brother and oldest sister for height. It is hard to process just how quickly he is changing. He will be going into grade 9 this year!

But like all things in life we are wading through the stream of changes as they go rushing past us, and we try to determine our place in them, find our balance.

I am praying for lots of positive changes for us all in the coming year!

No comments: