Tuesday, February 19, 2008

This Place and Time

First thing this morning I woke and cut to the chase, heading over to Great Clips for a trim and then home to shower and do laundry. It is Tuesday and the first of my two day weekend.

The weather channel forecast a window of sunlight today and I was determined to take advantage of it for a seawall walk, something that the rainy cold weather has stopped me doing recently.

The laundry took a while to complete as the machines were in use but once it was done I headed down Harwood to English Bay and then out along the seawall.

It was a spectacular day with a choppy sea and the freighters at anchor on the Bay beginning to fade into a mist that had just begun to roll in.

As I walked I was thinking of my sister Marilyn and how she would enjoy this day if she were here with me.

Many of the people passing me had contented smiles on their faces as they walked into the bright sunlight, their eyes half closed as if in meditation.

A young mom was sitting on a park bench hungrily devouring a hot dog purchased from the street vendor up the hill. Her baby was watching her from the stroller and as I passed I received her message to her babe as clear as a radio signal. She said, "You're gonna love hot dogs!"

Even as I walked I could see the mist gathering and deepening and before long the tops of buildings were disappearing into the clouds and the horizon had all but disappeared.

The sun became a brilliant circle of contained light diffusing through the mist and the reflection of its light on the choppy surf transformed the surface of the water into a silvery gold expressionist abstract.

Earlier the noon news reported rain arriving again around midnight and I felt blessed to receive this gift of winter sunlight and fresh sea breeze.

As I rounded to corner onto 2nd Beach once again the sound of the surf captured my attention. It was crisp and musical and had eluded me until just now.

There were so many feelings and emotions percolating through my consciousness as I walked. I seemed to be reminded of my childhood, my youth, my early adult years and my years with my young children all at once.

I took a deep breath and drew this heady mix of memory/feeling into my lungs.

What a life it has been and it all comes down to this present!

How can I help but be ever thankful, ever grateful for everything that has brought me to this place and this time?

No comments: