Monday, March 09, 2009

The Lion in Winter

I guess after all the groundhog was right and now March has come in like a lion with high winds, freezing rain and today a new blanket of thick snow that continues to fall at 9:34 a.m.

The early evening sleet storm had stopped by the time I left the office last night and so snow this morning was the last thing I expected. I have a feeling that many morning commuters will have the same thought.

I am still feeling the effects of the hour lost sleep as daylight savings time kicked in yesterday and this morning I woke at a couple of minutes to 9 out of a deep dream in which a robotic animal with sharp teeth was biting it’s way through a barrier or chain by way of providing more fun for my infant son.

That image is echoing the meaning of snow to an adult who has to trudge through it to work while the child revels in building a snowman.

It was not so very long that I would wake in weather like this to the plaintive cries of my young children. "Come outside dad and help me build a snowman!" And me of course with a cup of hot coffee in hand, stubbornly dragging my heels all the way to the front yard. Such precious memories and so very fleeting.

The one bright spot about trudging through the snow to work is the bright and smiling faces of my friends and co-workers once I arrive. And I doubt very much that this light blast of snow will compare to the blast earlier this year that turned my neighborhood into a prairie winter suburb.

Then of course there is the laughable comparison of our wet coast climate to anything east of Hope, B.C.

Here in the Hawaii of Canada we can afford to play with the lion in winter. Elsewhere we might be devoured by it!

This old boy might be anyway!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Baba
I could relate to the lion as we return to seasonal temperatures after a week of unseasonably cold days, winding up with temperatures of -35C as we began the week.
Today at -9C, we are in a veritable state of ecstasy and it is my day off! Even better. Unlike the Hawaii of Vancouver, the children here were not thrilled with indoor recess, or even getting up to go to school. I went for acupuncture this morning and had aches and pains on my aches and pains. Even the acupuncturist was complaining. Everyone is tired after the cold weather--but I can feel myself perking up as the weather warms. Yayyy spring!!! :-P