Saturday, April 04, 2009

Counting my Blessings

"When words are both true and kind, they can change our world." ~Buddha-
(from the tinybuddha Twitter page.)

It is just past 10 a.m. and I guess the snow that was forecast for later in the week never materialized for us and the sun seems to be sticking around instead. Thank you Weather Gods!

Saturday and mid-workweek for me! I am gearing up for the day, and counting my blessings.

Dare I mention the word Spring?

It seems whenever I take that deep relaxing breath and sigh of relief, the wind picks up again. But when the sun is shining like it is today, it is an incentive and an inspiration to get up and get with it.

If I was not working, it would be a great day for a seawall walk but I am lucky to be able to walk to work, about 25 minutes if I take my time and stop to smell the flowers.

Well, there may not be many blossoms just yet, as many seem to have tucked their heads back in their beds to wait out the cold days that have continued on. But they are coming, I can feel it in my bones.

And then this past cold winter will be nothing but a memory, one I will have forgotten by this time next year when someone asks, "Do you remember last year?"

As a young man and a student of meditation I tried so hard to live in the now. A long time ago I wrote:

"When to be, and to be, will deepen into NOW, I will roll my pantlegs to the knee and dance." I was an avid student of Yeats and Eliot, but also of Suzuki Roshi and Chogyam Trungpa.

These days, despite my best efforts I can't remember one week from the next, let alone a year ago. Especially if I am asked of if I try to remember.

The real memories, the ones that stick, come unbidden and linger like the fragrances of springtime blossoms. Thank God for those memories and times that were but will never be again.

And like the Canucks, with a game still in hand, what of those beautiful days and times still yet to come!

I am a lucky man!

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Just thinking of trying to be here now. It was April 1973 and I was on a train to Vancouver reading 'Be Here Now' by Ram Dass. I remember the date so clearly because I was in Vancouver for two days before our dad passed away and his now was over.

Now Like Ram Dass, I am Still Here. I loved this book finished after his stroke. Elizabeth Lesser writes in her book, Broken Open, that when she went to visit her old friend Ram Dass after his stroke, she found him there or 'HERE' in a way that she had never experienced with him in life. 'It was his soul' she remarked, 'that was sitting there in wheelchair, beaming like the sun', "I'm home" she called out to him. "Yes you are home" he responded. I am the same age now that Dad was when he left this earth, and Still here with you . O:-)

whirld dervish said...

Hi Marilyn...

Yes "Be Here Now" was a seminal book for me too, as I guess it was for many of our generation.

I guess it underlined the "reachability" and reality of a spiritual path for all of us.

I remember leafing through the pages with an awe bordering on reverence.

I can't remember how it first came my way tho.

b