Thursday, September 09, 2010

PNE Centennial with Karen

What a marvelous day last Saturday with Karen at the PNE. The only fly in the ointment was that Kadir bailed on us.

I took the bus and met Karen out front of the Fair. She said she would be dressed in black and white and when she appeared in front of me at the entrance her face was shining. It was wonderful to spend some time with her although we didn’t do anything we hadn’t done in the past.

The best thing was taking her to see the Centennial Naval/Marine tattoo in the Coliseum which featured the US Marine Pacific “killer” marching band, the British HM Royal Marines which were a seamless texture of perfect musician ship and drilling skills, the HMCS Naden band which brought back memories of my days as a Cadet in HMCS Chippewa band in Winnipeg (where Naden was the summer band camp of choice), a small contingent of WWII veterans who along with a vocalist did a sing-a-long of the greatest hits of the Blitz including “Pack up your troubles” and the “White Cliffs of Dover”.

As far as I am concerned though #1 was that Karen got to see the Seaforth Highlanders Pipe band in all their triumphant regalia, uniforms Karen remembers her dad wearing. They were playing in a single unit with the Vancouver Police Pipe Band and I noticed the British and American musicians watching them from the wings. They are a pretty impressive band on their own.

During the course of the afternoon we shared a single order of the BBQ chicken and potato salad/coleslaw that we’ve eaten at past fairs and also got a bag of mini donuts. At one point we dropped into the beer garden where Karen had a Corona and I a glass of Merlot, but there was a rock band warming up for their set and it was not a relaxing atmosphere. Before we left Karen and I shared a Greek style chicken wrap washed down by a root beer.

At that point after 5 hours we got ready to leave and Kadir finally answered his phone and apologized for bailing on us. I wish he had seen the bands most of all.

Karen still left me in her dust for most of the fair but when she remembered she backtracked to take my arm, probably the closest we have been in years. We took the #4 bus back to Granville before dark where she took the Canada Line home.

I got off the bus with her where we said our goodbyes and from there I began my walk home from the sky train station but I paused before I turned the corner to see her strolling off in the wrong direction. The Canada Line entrance was on the other side of the street. But she wasn’t lost.

She had paused at Birks jewelers to look in the window and light a cigarette and there I left my lovely girl in her white jeans and flip-flops which showed off her pink painted toe nails. She was so kind and gentle to me at the fair, just as she had been when we were first together 30 years ago now.

What a great day!

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Hi Ted,
It was nice to read about your relaxing day with Karen. However, when you mentioned leaving the scene when the rock band was gearing up; I could not help but smile. I remember the days long ago when you were an eager band member in several bands!
We are all well. I hope that you had a good Thanksgiving celebration.
Love Dianne
xx/oo

Ken said...

HI TED,

JUST CHECKING OUT YOUR BLOG. MY YOU LEAD AN EXITING LIFE. ITS BEEN SO LONG THAT I'VE BEEN OUT ON THE TOWN I MIGHT GET LOST HERE.

ANYWAY,BEST WISHES TO YOU AND ALL,


KEN

Edinburgh Flats said...

Nice one