Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Great News on a Great Day

How could there be anything else than good news on a day like today?

It is another stunning autumn day, the air crisp and cool, and the sun bathing the colored leaves in rich light. There is something energizing too about wearing freshly laundered jeans and sweater, which puts a little more spring into each step.

I have been waiting for today for over 2 months. This is the day I met with the hematologist to receive the results of my blood tests and CT Scan.

It has been a long time coming, but I have been in no hurry. No hurry to receive more punishing tests, that's for sure. Yet today, I found myself strangely excited and optimistic.

My appointment was for 2 p.m. but I was early, as usual by about 15 minutes. But to my surprise at 2 p.m. sharp my doctor called me in.

First she asked me how I felt and I told her that I felt great! I have been working on my diet, as explained in previous blogs and so I seem to have a lot more energy than I did a month ago.

She explained that the type of cancer I have been diagnosed with, Mantle Cell Lymphoma, when discovered in men my age, is usually more advanced. It is a type of blood cancer and they did the bone marrow biopsy to see how far it has progressed. The result was that although some evidence of cancer has been found in the bone marrow, it is minimal, and that in her opinion treatment at this time is unnecessary.

The cancer appears to be indolent, sleeping in other words.

She advised that this cancer can become aggressive very quickly though, and that they must monitor me for the next few months.

She asked me what I had been doing and I explained about change of diet, meditation, prayer, visualization and she encouraged me to keep doing what I am doing as it appears to be working.

She said there is still a "blip" in her diagnosis in that she must take my results before a panel at the BC Cancer Society and get their opinion but said she wouldn't call me unless there was a change of approach needed, in their opinion.

Other than this, I go back to see her for blood tests and appointment in early January 2007.

A perfect conclusion to an otherwise perfect day, and as I write this I am preparing my supper of salad, brown rice and beans with a little chicken thrown into the mix!

What great news to share with my family and friends!

Over the past couple of months, your prayers, comments, suggestions and support have meant so much to me.

If I have learned anything from this, it is I am not alone!

2 comments:

(((o))) weaver said...

congratulations!... and wishing you the best... and i wish the best and same for a friend of mine who has been diagnosed with a cancer very similiar...

Anonymous said...

My Dear Friend,

Yesterday, Anuragi, Noor-un-nisa and I picked 150 mostly green tomatoes, two large squash, a whole bunch of beans, and 225 sunflower seeds. We gave thanks for this harvest and offered a prayer for our family and friends.

Today, we hear this good news from you. God bless you and your family and we hope that your new vigor will last for years and years and years and that the indolent disturbance will be but a whisper in your life full of joy.

Love,
Abdul Qadir