Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A Short Autumn Adventure

As I had planned, I went to an early matinee of Marie Antoinette yesterday at Tinseltown.

They are supposed to be the only film crew ever allowed to film on the grounds of Versailles. And what a sumptuous feast for the eyes the movie is! I guess the movie put me in the mood for an afternoon adventure.

By the time I got home, the mid morning rain had stopped, the sun had reappeared and there was an amazing wind that had turned the rain soaked leaves into a glittering light show with accompanying sound track, and so I had to head out and down to the waterfront to view the full spectrum.

The ocean was a steely blue flecked with big whitecaps and crashing up over the rocks, and the wind was roaring through the tall Lombardy poplars at Sunset Beach. A slim, dark haired girl in a turquoise jumpsuit was climbing the rocks with her young son or brother, as he brandished a long stick and tested the force of the waves and the depths of the water.

They were the only two brave ones out on the beach, though there were a few hardy souls walking the seawall like myself. As they passed me, the boy looked at me and quickly sizing me up with one cute but penetrating look, turned his back on me and drove his wooden spear into the waves.

I felt I had tuned momentarily into their adventure story and as they walked away down the beach I felt washed in the wake of the mystery of it. And a longing that reminded me of my own childhood.

No comments: