Monday, December 25, 2006

Big Wheel Turning

Last night I came home from work early, as the phones closed at 8 p.m. for the holidays, and I spent about a half hour extra closing the office.

At home I reached down a bottle of rum which has been sitting in my kitchen since last Christmas and poured a shot into a Light Holiday Eggnog from Safeway. I turned on Channel 4 to watch and listen to the crackling of the Yule Log and checked email.

This doesn't measure up to lighting my wood fire with cedar bough kindling on my Vancouver Island days, and putting a pot of clove-scented water on the stove to boil, but brings back pleasant memories anyway.

I spent most of this Christmas morning designing a Christmas greeting email, which I started to work on last night and finally got finished and sent out. The fonts might not match on other computers, or maybe the angels won’t appear on hotmail, but the intention is there anyway.

I also received an email from a good friend who is in East Berlin on a Christmas break from work in London. He reminded me, “You have been remiss in updating your blog.”

I talked to all family members via phone this morning. Nika initiated this with a Merry Christmas dad call, and all the kids (now young ladies and gentlemen) chimed in one at a time, as they had all spent Christmas Eve together exchanging gifts, as our family gathering is not planned until Boxing Day. Then they had all slept over at Chaya's and were planning to go snowboarding as a group today.

I can't tell you how proud I am of my children, that they value each other enought to celebrate as a family in the absence of mom and dad.

I don't know what everyone received but I do know that Kadir will be "rockin' the blues" with a new Fender guitar and amp, courtesy of Saint Nick. Thank God, for Santa Claus...one of the many joyful creations of our common Creator.

And don't start trying to tell me that there is no Santa Claus. I ain't a-buyin' it!


So for this Christmas anyway, I pray along with many others for food and shelter for all humankind, for someone or something to Love for each of us, and for Peace on Earth and Goodwill to all. I plan to continue this prayer throughout the next 365 days.

If you think Santa forgot you this year, the Big Wheel isn't yet finished turning.

No comments: