Sunday, March 25, 2007

Holy Guacamole Batman!

Thursday at work, I noticed Danny (my friend and one of our office Team Leaders) hovering by my desk in the periphery of my vision. As I had just started making a reservation when I noticed him I didn't turn to see what he wanted.

Normally, he would not stand there unless it was something urgent. I now understand completely the pressure he too must have felt.

When I finished he asked me to go on a meeting break and said he wanted to talk to me. I took off my headset, stood up and turned to follow him.

The kitchen area which is open to the office was full of executive and accounting staff and as many of the agents as could be mustered. There must have been 40 people standing there and all of them smiling at me. Our CEO was the MC and grinning broadly as he held a little blue Birks Jewelers box that I knew contained my silver 5-year pin, a token of appreciation bestowed by the company to those who stay on in the wake of many who come and go.

Everyone was smiling as I accepted and shook his hand and told all what a wonderful group of people I was fortunate enough to work with. I felt really honored that they were all present. Our manager Nooshi came over and gave me a huge hug, and several more came to shake my hand and congratulate me.

And that was that, or so I thought as I proudly showed off the little pin to several of my co-workers.

However, when I got to work Friday afternoon, after accomplishing the long put off task of cleaning my apartment, I met Danny on way in. We had a short conversation and entered the office together where Steve, one of our co-workers was waving heartily to me I thought, until I followed with gaze the direction of his pointing arm.

There on the wall was a huge black and white poster, nearly 4 feet square I think, of the cartoon Batman in an action pose, and the caption “Holy Guacamole Batman, Congrats on 5 years!”

Danny had designed it on the computer, and then printed it out on multiple letter-sized sheets, which were then carefully clipped, sorted, put in place and taped to create the huge blowup of the image (by Danny, Verna and Eddie).

I couldn’t have been more delighted if they had presented me with a new computer! It was the perfect touch. They must have worked on it all morning to get it right.

It all started about a year ago I think, when Verna got into the habit of addressing me as Batman. We’ve had a running office joke ever since, as Norm another co-worker protests every time she calls me that, “No I’m Batman! He’s my Robin.” A short argument always ensues between Verna and Norm about who is the real Batman. (I usually counter that if he is Batman, then they should probably call me Alfred!)

Of course the minute I spotted the image, I heard Norm's plaintive comment, “No, I’m Batman! He is my Robin!”

This event made my day, and it was a great day at work. After 5 days of rain, the sun even came out and flooded the office with a blinding golden light.

That night I brought the small letter size image home (lovingly placed in an envelope by Verna so it wouldn’t be creased) and have posted it above my table as a reminder of the loving friendship of the folks I work with, and the grace of Our Creator to place me there.

Links to the Poster:
www.dannydang.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/batman1.jpg
www.dannydang.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/batman2.jpg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Link to the Poster: http://dannydang.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/batman1.jpg
http://dannydang.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/batman2.jpg