Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Lights, Seasons Greetings

This Christmas Day I was treated to a wonderful feast at the home of my daughter Chaya and all family members were present for the first time in at least 7 years.

Last night on Boxing Day, all alone in my apartment I was reviewing the events of the day before. As with most family gatherings at Christmas, a lot of things come to the fore that need to be addressed and this was no exception.

I found myself getting hungry and since the oven in my stove burned out over the holidays I went out and bought a falafel on Davie Street. It was a cold, clear evening and I wanted to stroll and work off the doldrums that had somehow settled into my psyche that evening.

Chaya had told me she wouldn’t be visiting after her usual Wednesday meeting in the West End last night, but I wasn’t sure and wanted to be alert if she did come.

I walked slowly up Burrard eating my falafel and then depositing the wrapper in a trash can near the bus stop I rounded the corner and walked slowly up Pacific Blvd in the direction of English Bay. I thought I would keep my eye open for the construction of a new pizza place that I thought I had read was moving here, but I could find no evidence of the same.

I had not walked far when I noticed the outline of a young woman dressed in black standing by the sidewalk. The light was very dim here but as I got closer I could see that her dog was squatting nearby, providing me with the reason for her pause in the dark street.

As I passed, the dog finishing its business came up and stood on its hind legs, putting its paws on my legs briefly hindering my progress. The young woman admonished the dog and I went on my way thinking “some people should take better control of their animals.” I was not in a good mood and I wasn’t sure whether the dog was either.

But I had only taken a few steps onward when the dog came scampering up from behind and this time stood straight up in front of me, tapping me determinedly on the chest with its muddy paws and definitely staying my progress.

It was as if a light went on. The dog wanted to play with me.

So I stopped and gave him a hearty petting right there and then and I could now see that he was just a young dog barely beyond the puppy stage and he was honoring this stranger passing in the dark night with the gift of friendship. He could just as easily have growled and threatened me.

The young woman caught up to us admonishing her dog but I responded, “It’s okay. He just wanted to say hello. I should have stopped and petted him the first time.”

As I walked away and passed a streetlight I could see the dog's muddy prints on the front of my coat, but I didn't care. In fact, I felt quite happy about it.

By the time I reached the big tree at English Bay that is always lit up this time of year, I was feeling much better.

The strings of violet, white and blue lights made it look like a vast, ornate candelabra or maybe a chalice and this Christmas it seemed more beautifully decorated than before, the lights more meticulously placed to give the sensation of moving dimension to the passer by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Baba
Glad to hear you were able to have Christmas dinner with the whole
family, although I know that is not the 'easiest' thing to do sometimes.
I am looking forward to my two weeks in Georgia with not a little
trepidation. The course in miracles which I sometimes study teachers
that everything is meant to bless us, and I sometimes forget that. This
year I was fortunate enough to be in a place where the Christmas lights
seemed meaningful and spoke to me of joy in a quiet kind of way. I know
that I am in a spiritually fit condition when I see beauty and love in
everything
and everyone, --dogs with muddy paws, shedding cats, etc. If I can
regain my sanity in the space of a few city blocks I feel like I am
doing very well.
Congratulations~

Anonymous said...

Dear Baba,

Thanks for the Bayazid pages. He, too, learned something from a dog. God is manifest in everything, especially loving animals. If we only had half the loyalty, half the enthusiasm, half the heart intelligence that our Golden Retriever Max seems to possess!

Glad you had a good meal with the family. I spent quite a bit of time with mine, and Max (my daily walking companion) really appreciated my presence by curling up at my feet every chance he got and snoozing peacefully.

May the lights of Christmas continue to sparkle in your heart for along time to come.

Peace, Love, Respect,
Csaba

Anonymous said...

Hi Baba,
Christmas has come and gone again for another year and I just wanted you to know that I've been thinking of you and your family over the holidays. Christmas Eve was special for me this year because of the fact that my husband and son accompanied me to church. Usually I go alone, when I decide to go; which isn't often anymore. Unfamiliar dogs scare me too... Bye for now...
Love Dianne
xx/oo