Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Let the Future Begin!

I invited my son Ky over for pizza after his work shift yesterday and just when he was about to arrive, Karen came home too. So the 3 of us enjoyed the pizza together.

I wanted to celebrate his recent news. He found an apartment on Commercial Drive with just a couple of days to spare before being convicted to couch surfing at his friends' places. It is an affordable rent too, a crucial thing as he is planning on going to the UK in the New Year.

He was over 2 days ago and showed me his passport which had been returned from the British Consulate in Ottawa with a flashy12 month "working holiday" visa pasted inside (what a great concept, he can stay for 2 years but will only be allowed to work for one so that technically he could travel Europe and return periodically to replenish his funds.)

The other great news is that his boss has given him a contact to someone high up in the coffee industry in London, a supplier. This may help him secure employment more quickly.

When I went for my seawall walk yesterday (the weeks' forecast rains still miraculously holding off as they are again today) I was feeling pretty happy knowing how things seem to be working out so well for him.

Karen and I later watched the announcement later that Barak Obama had won the vote and become the 44th US President and we listened to all the speeches, some of which were incredibly moving. Jesse Jackson was in tears. Because of this I missed the hockey game but saw later that the Canucks shut out the Predators 4 – zip!

This morning there was evidence of footsteps on the scaffolding outside my window, and the clanking of metal pipes began. Within a couple of hours, the scaffolding was taken down.

Halleluiah, it’s the end of another era for me! This one seems to have begun with the installation of new windows in my apartment and the announcement by Basti my Kurdish friend and the window installer, "Baba, now you have new windows and next you will have to find a new woman."

Prophetic words although the woman he suggested I would find was only new to my apartment and I had a the great fun of opening my window the day after he said this and calling to him. He was on the scaffolding as usual and I said, "Basti, come over here, I want to show you something. Look into my kitchen." He did so.

"A new woman," I announced and his jaw gaped.

My ex-wife of 20 years and the mother of my children Karen had temporarily moved in with me as described in my last blog. She is still here nearly a month later but will hopefully soon find her own place.

So it is close quarters in my one room bachelor apartment but we are making do and so far have only bumped heads a few times.

This morning as they removed the scaffolding I looked for signs of my friend Basti but he was nowhere to be seen.

I wanted to tell him I would miss his singing outside my window but that I wouldn't miss the hammering and other noises!

Ah well, one must let go of the past to let the future begin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Future is Now!

Just thinking of you -I received a note from a friend in Florida who was celebrating Obama's victory, for many of the same reasons many have. He was a nurse in Vietnam
and later became a counselor and unity church minister. He is also very ill (kidney disease) and has been on dialysis since I first began talking to him online. Another one of my Course in Miracles friends. But he is still (as he says) playing in the illusion.

This particular illusion of Obama's victory brought up a lot of feelings for him, having witnessed so much racism in his early years. It brought back a feeling as he describes it of hope that died with JFK Bobby Kennedy and MLK jr.

I found it very affirming that those feelings are so global for so many of us, American Canadian Kenyan etc. We are truly one in
our spirit if only for a moment. A holy moment as described by the course.