Thursday, October 23, 2008

One Day at a Time

Yesterday after I updated my computer security downloads I went for a walk along the seawall. I wasn’t sure where I was headed but it was a sunny and colorful fall afternoon.

I decided to complete a cycle I have been avoiding and return to the Pauline Johnson memorial at 3rd Beach. It was on the day I visited it nearly 3 months ago that I suffered vertigo that sent me to hospital for a week and wiped out my balance.

I finally seem to be recovering and yesterday walked without a cane as I have been doing the past week.

I found that the going was a bit slow but I negotiated my way to Siwash Rock, my first long seawall walk since the accident.

There was a young woman sitting there along the seawall, her head bowed and I thought maybe she was praying but as I passed her, I saw she was writing in a notebook.

I said a short prayer in memory of my mom and then returned to the 3rd Beach concession stand to use the washroom.

I strolled for most of the walk as I didn’t have the energy to power walk. I found that I am still feeling a fair amount of vertigo, but it is not throwing me completely off balance as it was a few weeks back. However, I have to focus to keep from wobbling.

When I got home, Karen was there. She has been staying with me for 2 weeks now after being evicted from her Kits apartment by an unscrupulous landlord. Our son Kadir has gone to stay with his sister Nika, pending Karen finding them a new place to live.

She is also looking for work and so it has been a change of schedule for me which I have had to adjust to. I am usually awake now at 7 or 7:30 which is her morning schedule. This makes for a rather long work day.

But when I came to the decision to invite Karen to stay here temporarily, I also made the decision to deal with the change in my daily routine as I knew I would have to.

Eight years is a long time to be apart, and it has taken a lot of adjustment to deal with the presence of another person in my tiny bachelor apartment.

When Karen came to live with me nearly 30 years ago she gave me a card inscribed with lines on the strategy of climbing a difficult mountain. The lines ended with the words...you can do it by taking it one step at a time.

Little did I realize what lay ahead for us.

God willing we will still overcome the obstacles one day at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Baba

One day at a time is an AA slogan. We can do anything one day at a time. I have a book called 24 hours a day. At the front of that book is a famous sanskrit saying --Look well to this day, for it is life--the
very life of life, in its brief course lie all the verities of
existence. Look well therefore to this day. I have lived by that
expression for almost 24 years. Sometimes, we in AA know that the next five minutes are all we can deal with. Another expression that helps me when I am dealing with difficult situations is Let go and let God. Without a belief in a God of our understanding, the ideas we learn in AA are so much more difficult to implement. Living as AA suggests though,
has brought me into direct contact with the God of my understanding.
Thinking of you putting one foot in front of the other as you walk
through this day, on the seawall, or in your room. Blessing you every step of the way.