Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve-ing

All night long and all day long the snow has continued to fall. This is probably the most Christmassy Christmas Eve I have ever seen in all my years in Vancouver.

Never mind that the snow is knee deep in drifts around my apartment. All the better for Santa’s sleigh tonight, although I am sure that the falling snow will muffle the sounds of the midnight sleigh bells and the tapping of hooves on the rooftops.

I don’t have to work today which is a good thing, as I don’t have snow boots and getting transportation to work other than by foot could pose a major problem.

The snow is falling so thickly that when I put my head out the window to have a look it comes back covered in wet white powder.

Now if only I could have avoided the family holiday blues and if only the Canucks had not been skunked by the Sharks, it would be a picture perfect holiday. On second thought, isn’t family drama a huge chunk of the traditional holiday season? It is for me, anyway!

Not all the family is suffering. My daughter Chaya is in bliss by a fireplace today reveling in holiday spirit and my son Ky purchased his plane tickets for the UK. He leaves on January 19th, putting his dream into reality.

He showed up at my place yesterday with a gift of a steam iron (which he says he never uses and has to get rid of for his trip) and a book of poems & drawings by Leonard Cohen called The Book of Longing published in 2006.

We shared a holiday eggnog and talked about his upcoming journey. He is literally chomping at the bit, as I was at his age.

I wonder if I ever told him that it was Cohen’s The Spice Box of Earth and Eliot’s The Wasteland that really fueled my start into writing in California in the late 60’s?

Never mind. All things considered it is shaping up to be a Wonderful Christmas.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Baba

Just read your note and am glad you get to be at home in the snow.

I had to laugh when I read that the spice box of earth and the wasteland got you started writing. When I began to correspond with my friend Vic,
I thought he would enjoy Leonard Cohen so ended up sending him a cd of his music. I also brought him the Book of Longing when I visited him in Australia.

His gift to me was Eliot's Four Quartets in both written and spoken ( that is; cd format) --It is a small world. I found a website with Leonard Cohen singing Silent Night, if you can imagine....with Jennifer Warnes in 1979.

I posted it on the Leonard Cohen website that I frequent. You can try cutting and pasting to see if this works.

http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/silentnight.mp3