Thursday, January 15, 2009

Breaking Open

It’s foggy and cool this morning but no rain, and with the rest of the country in a severe deep-freeze I am really counting my blessings.

Yesterday I saw the author Elizabeth Lesser speaking on the Oprah show and I was quite impressed by the title of her book Broken Open and the way she described it’s meaning to the audience.

She said many adults live their lives tightly wound around their centre with anxiety and fear without ever breaking open like a rose which breaks into bloom.

Her thesis is that hard and difficult times can be tools which will enable us to face the darkness and fear in us and break open if only we allow them to.

It is a beautiful poetic image.

See a brief bio of her by clicking on the link below.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Holistic-Living/2004/08/Being-Broken-Open.aspx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha--I went for a walk yesterday afternoon and found myself in a Chapter's where I looked up her book and read some excerpts.
I did not have money with me to buy it but I determined that I would the next time I am able to. Some of her work spoke to me in a very personal way--which doesn't happen all that often any more. No wonder you thought I told you about her. I also have several women sponsees in AA to whom I will be recommending this book. Thank you for your help!