Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Young Man Arrives in London

It is a cold and cloudy morning but with no precipitation and no real fog to speak of…not like earlier this week anyway.

I received my first email from Ky who has now landed safely in London, and is recuperating from jet lag. He comments that it is outrageously expensive and no where can he find internet access.

But as usual his tone is upbeat.

I have been traveling with him in spirit the past two days, recalling my first trip to swinging London in the late 60’s.

I landed at Gatwick airport and took the train to Victoria Station. I met a young lass from California on the train and we became fast friends, sharing a bed and breakfast room no bigger than a cracker box for a few days, until she fell for a handsome Brit bartender who lived in the area and moved in with him.

On my first foray out into the streets after a night in town I walked into a pub and there stood Wilfred Bramble holding court with a group of elderly cronies, hoisting his pint aloft and smiling the same unforgettable and mischievous smile that he smiled as “the clean old man”, Paul’s dad in the Beatles movie A Hard Days’ Night.

When he lifted his pint in my direction and toasted me too, I knew I had arrived.

I can't help but wonder what Ky is seeing and feeling today!

I wish him a quick success in finding "suitable lodgings"!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This brings back memories for me too. My experience was a little different--I arrived in London knowing nothing about anything and thinking that a no entrance sign signified a subway station --truly!

Looking back I am amazed at the angels that guided me on my way and protected me. Even in my ignorance, I was able to find my way to Shepherd's Bush, and with the help of only one London bobby, make my way to Hammersmith, where my brother(you)was living in a flat with his girlfriend. I knew I had arrived when I awoke from a sleep in his flat and saw my brother smiling at me.