Friday, January 12, 2007

Below Zero

The last couple of days have reminded me of long ago Winnipeg winters, lots of sun, crusty icy snowy streets, and temperatures below zero. It has been a long time since Vancouver has seen such weather, and so I trekked to work the past couple of days, breathing steam, hands in pockets and feeling very chilled.

But later today I was reminded that temperatures in Edmonton were in the mid 30-below range and Winnipeg has seen it's coldest weather in over 2 years. A friend who had just flown in from Edmonton said when he landed, he felt he was in Hawaii after the frigid temperatures there.

But I guess it's all irrelevant for someone with a job and a warm office to check into. Not so for the many homeless on the streets still, in blankets and sleeping bags, begging for the money for a cup of coffee. Cold is cold, and homeless is homeless.

I am one of the lucky ones, home tonight in my warm room and sitting at my keyboard, playing out my words and thoughts into cyberspace for friends, family and unknown strangers who may happen by.

I thank God for everyday blessings that are so easily taken for granted.

No comments: