Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Calm

This morning I woke late to a list of chores that always waits for the first of my days off from work.

The gray, windy and silent sky intoduced a calm in me, that reminded me of days on the island of Symi in the Dodecanese, in the early 70's.

In those days, I would open my journal and with pen in hand, enter the first thoughts of the day. Many of these came out as poems or partial songs (which were later finished with music).

These days, my paper journal has been replaced by my computer journal, which is only a difference in formats. I always begin each day writing, and have done so for over 30 years.

So, despite the chores facing me, I launched into them with the idea of keeping the calm sensation I was experiencing today in focus. This was accomplished by an unhurried and quiet attention to each chore at hand.

I multitasked, breathing easily and went grocery shopping between laundry loads, all the while relaxing into the rhythm of the day. I even managed to get my white shirts out of the load, before the dryer had finished, so that I would not have to iron them. I did this without really trying to do so but paying attention to the rhythm in which things were unfolding.

On the way to Safeway, I realized I forgot to turn my TV off or wash out my coffee pot but did not allow myself to worry about these things. When I got home, I turned off my TV, turned on CBC and, while listening to Radio 2, finished my morning dishes and began my preparations for the evening meal.

It is now nearly 4:30 and supper is ready but uneaten on the stove, and I am back at the computer finishing this blog.

Although it rained most of the time I was out, and the wind was increasing, the evening is once again inducing a sensation of calm. Today's weatherforecast was for a storm beginning this evening.

But for now, I am simply and gratefully enjoying the calm. It is so beautiful!

No comments: