Friday, November 16, 2007

Installation Blues & Sage Advice

It is just after 9:30 and I am awake and up slightly early after another night downloading antivirus software file updates.

When I got home from work yesterday I set right to work to try and un-jam my laptop by manually un-installing Trend Micro Pro upgrade which support had linked me to in error and which was now “stuck” in my system. Of course I could not…and so I tried the tack of reinstalling it, got as far as unloading the installation files, found the diagnostic “toolkit” and ran that to un-install the program.

To my great relief it worked. So then I re-installed PC-Cillin 2007 my original version.

And then...I re-installed Trend Micro Security 2008 but it could not remove 2007 for some reason so I tried to re-activate the 2007 version and it worked. It is good to go for another year if I want to leave it that way (knock on wood.) But what a headache!

This is nearly 2 weeks of off-target support from Trend Micro, failed installations and inability to connect to the net.

My friend and coworker Leon laughed at me when I explained that my days off had been screwed up by this. He admonished me, “With all you have to worry about, you are complaining about software problems?”

The Paramount Hotel Seattle reps visited us yesterday and bought huge heaps of pizza so I stayed in for my break avoiding the heavy rain outdoors.

My intuition told me that I should probably go down and look for my friend Trevor in case he showed as he said he probably would, though with the rain I doubted it. But when I looked out the front doors, there he stood in his hoodie, for all the world looking like my own long lost son.

So I invited him up to the office and offered him pizza. He refused the pizza as he’d already eaten but we went into the Zen room and had a talk for about a half hour. He and his girlfriend of 4 years have broken up and she has left their shared house. He says that they are still talking but that the relationship was not working. He is in search of himself, as so many young men are (and were ).

We didn’t have too much to talk about, and he would not admit to any problems that needed to be addressed. When I addressed the issue one last time before he left he gave me that look of what the hell and said, “Ted, get back to work!

We had more or less spent the entire time bullshitting (shooting the breeze as we used to call it) and laughing for the most part.

So much for imparting sage advice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Baba
The Technology blues --into every life a little rain must fall.
Sometimes it just boggles my mind to recognize how much our world has changed.

When Doug was in Germany on sabbatical last year we were talking face to face ok Skype in what from my childish eyes, would have looked like a futuristic seen from Star trek that I could never imagine coming true.

Along with such highs come the lows of viruses, and computer crashes. If my computer crashed, I would be devastated at all the work I had lost. Would I give up being able to write reports at home on my home to office
program so that I can send them to a secretary across the city for
formatting and printing? Not on a bet. And of course meeting some of the friends I have met online is just a miracle.

Am celebrating another miracle today of reconnecting with the sponsee who recently accused me of racism and redneckism --We ran into each other at a meeting
sat beside each other, and with maybe fifteen words, the healing was completed. What a blessing!