Saturday, November 03, 2007

The Rain, The Lark and my father.

This morning is one of those gray, rain-soaked ones that mark the approach of the winter season in this West Coast Rain Forest climate.

I am taking my time as I prepare for work this morning listening to CBC’s I Hear Music with Robert Harris, a program on the influence of the violin in music.

He is playing that remarkable Hungarian gypsy piece “The Lark” that I have heard once before which after a fireworks display of masterful virtuosity strays off into the stratosphere imitating the sounds of birds towards the end.

The recording I heard before was by Kalman Balough and the Gypsy Cimbalom Band but this one was performed by someone with the name Sandor. Maybe it was the same group, I am not sure.

I just Googled it and the name of the group is Sandor Deki Lakatos and his Gypsy Orchestra. Robert Harris suggested, “Maybe if you to Hungary you can still find his recordings somewhere.”

He followed this with some more modern recordings by Natalie McMaster. And he closed the program with Django and Stephane Grappelli.

I could not help but think of my father as this music was being played, and stopped to say a silent prayer for him. If not for his playing of the violin at home when I was a young boy, I might never have been inspired to become a musician.

I can still remember the fine-tuned vibrato he applied using his left wrist like a dowser might use a wand.

Thanks for those beautiful memories dad!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi baba,
As usual, something in your blog connects for me. I celebrated a
birthday recently and received a picture I had been admiring for several months in a local coffee shop.

The picture (of a man playing an accordion) has somehow always reminded me of Dad in his youth. The pose the profile, the concentration on his instrument.

Growing older has a wonderful way of bringing out the finer memories
from the past--at least that seems true for you and for me. Hope all is well --

Love Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Hi Baba,

I found a CD by Sandor Deki Lakatos in the discount bin at London Drugs! I play it now and again when I need to be reminded of my childhood.

Sandor Lakatos is a famous gypsy name--for years he led the best known gypsy band in Hungary. Sandor Deki Lakatos is probably an offspring.

I think I know the piece "The Lark." It might be synonymous with "The Nightingale" which is also a virtuosity piece for the violin, mimicking the chirp of birds!

My personal favourite is the "Street of Poplars" about a lovesick young man who entreats a gypsy musician to find the window of the most beautiful girl in the village. "When you find that window, gypsy, play a heartrending tune so the girl should start crying. Make it like a pledge of tearful love, but make sure you play quietly, so that no one else can hear."

I send you much love,
Csaba