Saturday, September 20, 2008

...so get with it old boy!

It's a rainy, cool September morning and I am heading back to work this morning for my 3rd work day since being off ill for a month.

It feels like the onset of fall, but the Equinox is not for a couple of days.

It's interesting and lucky for me that bountiful West Coast summer lingered on until the day before I returned to work, since I did not have a great time off for most of the month for reasons already blogged.

But the last week, each day was brilliantly sunny, and I was able to get down to the seawall almost every evening to watch the vivid sunsets, a reminder of the blessings in my life.

The return to work has not been stressful as I imagined it might be. I still have use my cane to get around the office, but my balance is really much better than it has been. And the youngsters (smile) in the office, far from making fun of me have been bastions of support.

I received so much love on my return to work, that it felt more like a family reunion than work and it was very empowering to feel I had actually been missed.

The only times during these days that I have actually felt really shaky have been on my evening walks home, once I am tired and the dizziness begins to set in.

I have kept up my blood pressure meds this time, although the blood pressure is once again up slightly due to the inevitable stress at work that is always present, even when you try to give your best.

My family doctor said it best: What job isn't stressful?

Or as the Buddhists say: Life is suffering.

I have to remind myself : Stress is part of the fabric of life, so get with it old boy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Baba

You are back at work already. I am not surprised by your reception--I
have noticed that you seem to
carry Love with you wherever you go. The last days of summer are
becoming more and more precious to me and it sounds like to you also. This morning it was a
bit cooler --reminding me that fall is just around the corner. I sometimes feel like you that I am not quite able to 'get with it'--and I have not had the illness you had, just that my body seems to be moving slower these days. Ah well... it is interesting to find out what this aging business is all
about--who knew!!! I have a lot more sympathy these days for cranky old people, although I still hope to avoid the real
cranky part. And its not all bad--I went to see my acupuncturist today, and had to park up the street due to no parking closer.
When I returned to my car I noticed I was parked next to an art gallery with a show going on so I wandered in. A new young artist had carved animals out of soapstone--rabbits, bears, eagles and a swan. There was a story to go along with each piece but all
the stories were connected--a very impressive show. I would have liked to buy a piece for several of my friends but they were a bit beyond my price range. Still was fun to look. And had I not had to visit the acupuncturist, I would never have seen it. That may be stretching things a bit, but why not!