Friday, September 05, 2008

The things we take for granted...

Good news...all things being equal I will return to work on September 18th.

My balance is still wonky but closer to normal than it’s been since mid-August when I was admitted to hospital.

I was speaking to one of my co-workers on Wednesday and she told me the same thing happened to her a while back, an air-born viral infection of the inner ear causing vertigo for over 2 weeks.

The things we don’t know! I joked that had they picked me up on the street, they would’ve thrown me in the drunk tank.

This week I was able to complete back to school shopping for son Kadir and so I am breathing easier.

When I go out each morning I usually hit the blood pressure kiosk at London Drugs to check things out but the great news is that my blood pressure/heart rate are now back to normal for the first time in several years.

I still carry my cane but at least until I get tired, I can mostly make my way carrying it under my arm, sort of like Fred Astaire heading out for a date with Ginger. Maybe there is slightly less spring in my step, but I’ve been told a top hat would not be entirely out of place!

It was the luck of the draw that when I went into the ER on August 13th, they told me my heart rate was irregular; fibrillation was the term they used. I was prescribed a beta blocker called Metoprolol while in hospital, as well as low dose aspirin. The Plendil I had been taking earlier this year did little to restore blood pressure to normal level and caused me bowel problems but the Metoprolol seems to be working. I take 50 mg twice a day and so far, so good.

I would like to thank all friends for their prayers and well wishes during a difficult period and for their active support. Also a huge THANK YOU to my co-workers for the lovely flowers and the beautiful get-well-soon card decorated with hand painted Echinacea blossoms and signed by so many there was no room left on the card.

For a guy who was told only a month ago that he might never walk normally again (when they were still talking stroke) I am counting my blessings.

The things we take for granted!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Baba,

Glad to hear your good news. And that you had such wonderful support from those who love you. That can certainly make a difference. It is good to take stock from time to time of all our blessings--that is for sure.

I find that I can flip from an attitude of gratitude into a 'poor me' state of mind with relative ease, no matter how many times during the day I say "wow I am so lucky". It surprises me when the switch occurs but I guess no matter how fortunate we are, we are still human and subject to errors in our thinking.

Most spiritual paths recommend constant vigilance for that reason. Your posts, are one of my vigilance exercises.

Thank you for sharing your journey--the highs and lows, ups and downs
along with spinning rooms etc.

Love Marilyn