Sunday, September 21, 2008

Letting Go

It is another in a series of cloudy, cool September mornings. It may have rained but not heavily.

My understanding is that this is the last day of summer and that the first day of fall will be tomorrow, Monday 22nd.

I have now negotiated 3 days of work after my illness and all is well. Yesterday’s shift dragged a fair bit, and I was counting the minutes at the end but it was one of those slow days and of course the end eventually came, as it always does despite my impatience.

I noticed on the way home last night that I had more than usual vertigo. I seemed to be stumbling quite a bit, partially because it was dark and I couldn’t gauge the uneven surfaces of the sidewalk, but also I think because I was rushing to get home. It's like being slightly drunk.

I am trying to stay centered and balanced to the best of my ability. I am also trying not to panic or despair at my seemingly decreasing physical capacities. We all get old…it is a part of life.

There has been no news the past few days from family members, and I am assuming all is stable…God willing.

I get fragments of understanding about my inability to affect the outcomes in the lives of my close ones. All I can do is stay focused, pray and help out where I know I can or where I am asked to help.

At this time of the year my mind goes back to the mid 1990’s and our first fall in the Juniper Co-op in Kits. I am sitting at my little DOS based computer with amber text on the screen, noting how the colors of the fall leaves outside the window are reflected in the color of the text and feeling a certain sense of security that for this winter at least our family is safe and protected.

We spent close to six years there if my memory serves and it was only the last one that was truly challenging and painful as I knew my time was up and I would have to leave the company of my beloved family. Hopefully the pain of that year has been duly processed but my heart still aches when I think about it.

The theme of leaving seems to be a constant one in my life and for some reason the leaving has rarely been initiated by me, but always forced upon me by circumstance. If there is a life lesson I have had to learn repeatedly it is the one of letting go.

I am now in my 7th year in my little West End bachelor apartment and I believe it is the longest I have ever lived anywhere. Sometimes when I come home from a busy day I kiss the walls, giving thanks that I have this safe haven in a city where so many are sleeping on the sidewalks. But my recent stay in the hospital reminded me that nothing is written in stone, and that any moment our imagined independence can be taken from us.

These days I am realizing more and more that there is only One Source of security and strength, and it is greater than anything I could possibly create.

I am learning to trust in this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to your comments in this blog. I observed some years ago that being a parent is all about learning to let go, from the moment of conception, to the day they walk out the door. And you are right--our whole life is a continuation of the letting go process.

The situation with the financial markets in the US recently is a stark reminder of how investments
and savings plans can never provide security. I guess that is why I never worried about such things. Often people who have been so responsible in such things never live to benefit.

I sometimes wonder whether all the time spent in developing my spiritual self, is a delusion and a waste. The wonder lasts for less and less time the longer I live that way. Whenever I am upset
over some current issue or a problem, someone or something
comes along to remind me how truly blessed I am.

When I attended Al-anon meetings some years ago I received a little book mark with the words Just for Today at the top --This was followed by a number of ideas or actions I could implement just for today...

Just for today, I will be kind to others. Just for today I will not
gossip. Just for today, I will not worry about the future.

This kind of common sense, was beyond my grasp at the time. I am so grateful for the kind of wisdom that has been put in my path, and for people who have gone before to show me it could be done.

Just for today, I will respond to my brother's blog.....and express the appreciation I have for him.