Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Rest of the Chorus

It is Tuesday morning my day off, and the knock at my window didn’t come until nearly 9 a.m. as the workers were doing other jobs.

When Basti, my new Kurdish friend and window installer did knock, it was only to retrieve the extension cord he left on the floor of my apartment when he finished installing my windows yesterday. He did a great job by the look of things.

I think he was very happy with me because while installing the first window on Friday he spotted my flutes and noticed that among them was a Persian ney, which was given to me as a gift by one of the Mevlevi dervishes in the days when I played for their sema.

On Monday morning before starting work he mentioned that he would like to try it out, and asked if I would be willing to sell it.

Of course I already knew the answer, and I was pretty sure my decision was the right one. I handed him the ney, an instrument I had struggled with for months just trying to find a single note. He put it to his lips and immediately blew an intricate musical phrase, something that he had obviously done many times before.

While counting the finger holes, as though to verify what he had decided was the origin and type of the ney, he told me he wasn't able to find a good ney in Vancouver. I told him, "You don't have to search any more. This ney is my gift to you."

His face lit up like a young boy's and he began another dancing riff of wavering notes. "This is a really nice gift", he effused.

"Well, don't just sit there playing the ney all day", I admonished, "finish fixing my window". I had the old man tone of voice down pat.

"No problem Baba", he exclaimed and went straight to his tasks.

"And don't forget to lock up when you leave", I threw in for good measure as I left the apartment for the office.

We were both wearing huge grins.

When I came home last night, both windows were fully installed, caulked and the mess largely cleared away. He even remembered to turn my lights off this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Baba

I love this story about the the workman on your apartment. First the anticipation, then the reality. It was almost as if you created the reality of what it would be like and so it was.

More and more I find things happening as I imagine they will. There are many things I have no control over but my reactions to situations provide an opportunity to co-create with the creator rather than rail against my lot in life.

Your story seems a perfect example of that for me. We never know who is placed in our path to teach us one more lesson or as a gift of grace.

I suspect your apartment will be warm and snug for winter and that the gift you gave will bring much joy.

Love,
Marilyn