Thursday, October 02, 2008

A Chorus of Workmen

This morning the hammering and clatter of tools and the sounds of workmen’s voices encroaches on my window once again.

They are re-doing the building envelope and the last 2 months they have been on the opposite side of my building and now for those of us on the western side, it is our turn.

Soon there will be scaffolding erected covering the entire west wall of the building and it will be draped in that porous green fabric that is now so familiar on many older buildings. This shroud will bring 24 hour twilight to my windows.

And soon I will pause before drawing my curtains, preparing for an unfamiliar face to be peering through the glass at me. I already do that since my windows face a neighboring apartment but seeing a person in another window will not be quite as startling as staring into the face of someone hunkered down on a plank two feet away.

Ah well, the good news is that in a couple of months it will all be over and when the really wet and cold weather arrives I will be safe and dry and warm. And the upside of living in a managed building is that my life is not structured around fending off rodents, insects and mould or keeping warm by turning on the oven, as I did one winter on Vancouver Island.

It looks like my intuition was accurate this morning. For the past few days the scaffolding has been retreating and advancing, a few windows at a time. What they put up during the day was taken down at night.

But today it is a full frontal assault. The scaffolding has now been erected from back to front of the building and they won’t be undoing that at the end of the shift.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the cast of high priests in black capes and headgear from the 1960’s musical Jesus Christ Superstar climbing the rungs of the scaffolds singing “One thing I’ll say for him…Jesus is Cool”.

I just hope they sing and hammer in tune!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Baba

Enjoyed reading your blog as always. And I laughed out loud at Jesus is cool. I remember that song very well.

I have been reading a couple of relevant things--Jesus and Forgiveness by Ken Wapnick (Course in Miracles guy)and a Karen Armstrong book on the Bible. I also could not resist a book in a used book store about the western mystics by an author named Evelyn Underhill. So the high priest thing struck a chord ( so to speak).

We are basking in warm 26 C Indian summer weather in Edmonton --hard to think about the cold weather coming upon us. But keeping an attitude of gratitude for the clanking and clanging of workmen doing their thing is a good thing. Where would we be without them indeed?