Saturday, September 09, 2006

Lunch with Ky, and later music with Kim Kuzma

I was feeling lonely today and so when my son Ky told me he had a day off, I asked if he would like to meet for lunch.

We met on the Burrard Street Bridge and then walked downtown together. As soon as I saw my son's tall figure and smiling face approaching, all felt well with my world.

We passed the beginnings of the Davie Days street festival and I was reminded that Kim Kuzma was scheduled there today, but she was nowhere in evidence and I when I mentioned it Ky, he didn't seem interested.

We wound up having some tasty butter chicken at an Indian Restaurant on Robson that was so rich and filling, I almost got ill trying to finish it off. At the end of our meal, and on my visit to the washroom, I was suddenly in pitch darkness. The power had gone off. Fortunately we had just enough cash to pay our bill.

We did a little walk around in the Pacific Centre Mall, Ky got some work socks and then I saw him off on the bus as he was feeling quite tired.

After this I sauntered back towards Davie Street at my own pace and arrived just in time for Kim Kuzma’s first set.

It started late around 3:30 and it was with a conga player, a drummer, a kick ass guitartist and a great keyboard player who played bass with his left hand.

What a doll! What a voice! At one point when she sang a song about loving someone long ago, I swear she looked right at me and spoke the words, “Oh yes, I remember…I got the message loud and clear,” and I wondered whether our mutual friend Brian Donald had told her how I flipped over her and even wrote a song about her the night I first met her and heard her sing a couple years back at the Crowne Plaza on Georgia. I have a heated imagination!

Speaking of Brian, she mentioned that the Seattle crowd was present and it didn’t take too long to spot Brian and Lu sitting in the front row. I played in a band with Brian in Toronto in the 60's. He was the original drummer for Chad Allen and the Silvertones (later the Reflections and still later the Guess Who.)

After the set I went up to say hi to them. Brian’s sister and her hubby from Winnipeg were there, and so I didn’t stay long but told them I would probably show up for Kim’s second set at 7 p.m.

She had mentioned she was going to do a disco set at 7 p.m. and when I showed up I understood what she meant because there was no band, just a set of disco lights and Kim, her hair pulled back in a white scarf, wearing a glittering lamee blouse and holding a mike.

Within 10 minutes she had the crowd up and dancing and holding hands in a human daisy chain that circled among the chairs. The music was prerecorded but the vocals were live. And what vocals...my God that girl can sing.

It was all upbeat until the last number which was Over The Rainbow, which I am sure would have wowed Judy Garland.

I left with tears in my eyes at the end of her set and didn't bother to fight the crowd to reintroduce myself though I was ready to proclaim my undying love right there and then. There are some things that restore my faith, and Kim's voice and presence is one of them.

Kim's website is http://www.kimkuzma.com/.

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Music always seems able to bring us in touch with that spirit that sometimes eludes us (or do we elude it) When we put ourselves in the presence of light it is always there for us.