Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wind, Big Waves and Qigong

I was so looking forward to my daughter Chaya's visit today as we had many things to discuss and she had promised me a Qigong lesson.

Chaya got here a few minutes after 11 and my son Ky was with her, and so we went for a long walk along the seawall to 2nd Beach.

Before we set off down the beach though, Chaya took me through a series of 6 Qigong exercises as she promised she would, ones she learned on her retreat in Montreal. They are spiritual/physical exercises based on slow movement and breathing (similar to Tai Chi) used to to stimulate one's Qi (Chi) energy.

This is right up my alley as it is all about working on my immune system right now!

We did these by the big rock in front of the Aids Memorial Wall, in mottled sunlight on the grass and below the big trees. A perfect setting!

The ocean was as choppy as I have seen it in a long time, with big waves washing up over the seawall in places and a chilly wind coming off the blue-green churning water. But it was a gorgeous day, with wind-blown leaves flashing colors and plenty of warm golden sunlight (despite the afternoon forecast of rain).

As we set off for 2nd Beach, Ky and Chaya discussed recent and upcoming favorite movies...they always point out great stuff to watch for, and the latest I-pod innovations. I didn't have much to offer but asked a lot of questions and remembered to swing my arms as I walked and focus on breathing. What a great feeling to walk between my two kids who are both taller than me. I felt like I was being guarded/guided on each side by an angel.

By the time we got to 2nd Beach, Ky commented that the waves there were big enough to surf in...you don't often get that in downtown Vancouver.

We then returned along the seawall to English Bay and up along Denman to find a restaurant. Both Ky and I were thinking “cheap, tasty and simple”, Chaya agreed and so we settled on one of the little Chinese all day breakfast cafes and I had my first coffee of the day, poached eggs and brown toast with fresh fruit, Chaya opted for a hearty grilled sandwich (which included mushrooms, yum) and a green salad, and Ky went traditional, scrambled, sausages and hash browns with immense dollops of ketchup!

By the time we returned to Chaya’s car, it seemed clear they would like to spend a little more time in the sun, so we went down to Sunset Beach once again and found a nice bench where we lounged and chatted for nearly an hour longer.

She is close to completion of her chemo treatments now, and it was a pleasure to watch her relax her face into the sun and sea, and witness the shining happiness emanating from it.

They have gone home now, Ky taking the wheel of Chaya's car for a driving lesson (he has his learner’s permit) and I came home to watch today’s Y&R episode.

Tomorrow I go back to work….these days off have been great and passed like a dream!

No comments: